Paul Caronna, General Manager of Sequoia Outdoor Supply
With Hurricane season upon us, it’s necessary to take some simple steps now to protect your backyard, landscaping and outdoor structures from damage. When a storm is threatening to impact the Gulf Coast, here are five simple ways you can prepare your outdoor area and give your family some peace of mind:
- Secure loose objects that can become projectiles when hurricane-force winds increase. Move lawnmowers, outdoor grills, planters, patio furniture, hanging baskets, playhouses and bicycles inside your home or garage.
- Tie down or anchor any immovable outdoor structures like pergolas and pavilions. For large outdoor structures that cannot be moved indoors, stack them together in the corner of your yard and tie them together.
- With hurricane winds measuring 74 mph or greater, trim your trees and shrubs and remove any damaged limbs on your property. Lay large potted plants down on the ground.
- Prepare your lawn by mowing your grass and harvesting any vegetables growing in your garden. If you evacuate for a storm, you may be out of town indefinitely. Once a storm hits, it will be easier to clean up debris if your grass is shorter. In addition, you’ll have to throw away any fruits or vegetables that have been damaged in the storm or covered by flood water.
- Clean out your rain gutters and make sure they are secured. Gutters can’t work to control the flow of rainwater and protect your home.
Though the threat of a potential tropical storm or hurricane can be stressful, it’s necessary to prepare in advance. As the Gulf Coast’s largest supplier of cedar products, our customers’ safety is our top priority.
At Sequoia Outdoor Supply, our garden pavilions, decks, fences and pergolas are sturdy and built to withstand heavy rains and high winds. If you have any further questions about preparing your backyard structures for hurricane season, we have a friendly, professional and knowledgeable staff available to assist you. We even have a drive-thru window to expedite your orders, and we’ll load all your materials for you, so you can get back to work quickly!